We absolutely loved Cartagena in Colombia. We came here to celebrate Seb’s birthday with a boat trip around the islands. One of the things we discovered was the famous Coco Loco cocktail.
Coco Loco literally means crazy coconut in Spanish. It’s a fresh coconut with vodka/tequila/rum/whiskey mixed in with the coconut water inside to produce an awesome beach cocktail. It is sold by vendors around the Caribbean beaches in Colombia who make it in front of you using fresh coconuts.
However, on a rainy grey day in London, fresh coconuts aren’t as easy to come by, so we put together this recipe to try to recreate this tropical Colombian memory when back home. Our recipe for Colombian coco loco serves 4 people.
Ingredients for Colombian coco loco
- 2 shots of rum (around 60ml)
- 2 shots of vodka (around 60ml)
- 2 shots of tequila (around 60ml)
- 480g (around 2 cups) of coconut cream
- 240g (around 1 cup) of coconut water
- 3 lemons or limes – squeeze the lime juice to use
- ice cubes for serving
How to make Colombian coco loco
- Place all the alcohol, coconut cream and coconut water in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Mix in the lemon/lime juice.
- Pour into a glass and serve with ice.
If you enjoyed reading, Pin me for later!
For more inspiration: